Mouth Cancer is on the rise in the UK, with approximately 7000 people being diagnosed in 2015 and about 1800 of whom who have lost their lives. Research also shows although previously known to be more prevalent in adults over age 40 and more common in men, currently mouth cancer being on the increase to up to three-fold is also occurring more in young adults and women.
One of the main reason that cancer affecting the mouth region (lips, tongue, throat, cheeks) has more fatality rates compared to skin cancer and cervical cancer is because of the late presentation of the cancer. Early diagnosis is crucial in the correct management and treatment of mouth cancer.
Risk Factors of Mouth cancer
Mouth Cancer can occur in anybody, however there are certain risk factors that are associated to mouth cancer:
- Smoking Cigarettes, cigar and pipe smoking
- Excessive amounts of Alcohol
- Chewing tobacco or betel nut
- HPV virus that can be transmitted through oral sex
- Over exposure to sunlight
- Poor diet
It is vital that everybody is regularly screened for oral cancer
Signs and Symptoms of Mouth Cancer
- Ulcers that don’t heal
- Red or white patches in the mouth or in the throat
- A lump (which may or may not be painful)
- Pain/difficulty swallowing food or drink
- Swollen lymph glands in the neck
- Problems with speech, or other changes to your voice
- Areas of numbness in the mouth
- Bleeding in the mouth
- Persistent mouth pain
- Teeth that become loose for no obvious reason
- Unexplained weight loss
At Aspects dental we undertake oral cancer screening as a standard part of your routine dental check-up. It is a simple and quick check and if anything unusual is found it is referred to the hospital for further investigation.
Early detection is key because if mouth cancer is spotted early, the chances of a complete cure are good. We are all guilty of not having the time and thinking ‘we’ll get that checked at some point’ and putting it on the never ending to do list. With life becoming ever more hectic it is important to make your health a priority.
If you have not had a recent dental check-up and had a visual mouth cancer screen please ring us to have your complimentary mouth cancer screen done and put your mind to ease.
Call us on 01908506199 to book yourself in for one of the available slots:
- Thursday 3rd November 10am-11am
- Monday 7th November 3pm-4pm
- Tuesday 22nd November 1pm-2pm
- Friday 18th November 2pm-3pm